TCEQ has established some guidelines to appropriately account for emissions captured by vapor recovery units (VRUs). Does your process device satisfy all of these restrictions? First, let’s go over the requirements for claiming 95% control efficiency and see how OTAs process device meets all expectations. You must first have a process devices designed to capture vapor to claim this efficiency. OTAs mechanical vapor recovery unit is designed specifically for the process of capturing and rerouting vapors that would otherwise emit to the atmosphere. Secondly, you must have sensing equipment which enables the applicant to know that the VRU is capturing vapors at peak intervals. We satisfy this requirement with an advance control system that utilizes upstream pressure sensors preset according to storage tank hatch and enardo valve thresholds. That way, pressures will never reach a level to vent to the atmosphere. When pressure drops to a pre-programmed threshold, the unit can either operate in bypass mode (in anticipation of spikes) or shutoff entirely (when separator dumps are infrequent). While in shutoff mode the VRU will automatically restart once vapors are present.
In order to claim over 95% control efficiency, there are additional requirements that a VRU must have in place. First, OTA’s sensor capabilities offers greater efficiency and control by allowing the following to be managed and monitored remotely: High O2 sensor (ability to shut the unit down if preset O2 limit is breached), high/low suction sensor (high – unit will alarm but not shut down; low – unit will alarm and shut down to prevent from pulling a vacuum on the tanks), high and low discharge sensor (high – unit will alarm and shut down to avoid overheating; low – unit will alarm and shut down to prevent accumulation of liquids in sales line), high discharge temperature sensor, and sensor failure sensor. Secondly, we have incorporated an appropriately designed bypass system to operate automatically and redirect, if needed. Our VRU also includes a suction scrubber allowing the compressor to handle both wet and dry gas. Our patented KS40 closed loop compressor is specifically designed for vapor recovery, and unlike other compressors, it can effectively handle moderate amounts of liquid due to its horizontally opposed headers design. Lastly, our variable frequency drive allows the unit to operate accordingly to the amount of vapors present, which optimizes unit efficiency and reduces operational costs. OTA’s unit comes stock with all of the TCEQ requirements to not only meet but exceed 99% efficiency claim, theoretically. The remainder 1% comes with extra monitoring and record keeping that is done by the operator. Refer to TCEQ’s Control Device Requirements Chart for more information or contact our Lead – Environmentalist at Enviro@OTACompression.com.
Please contact your local OTA sales representative if you would like to learn more about our products and services.